• LIKE on Facebook • FOLLOW on Twitter • FOLLOW on Instagram
• SUBSCRIBE on YouTube • BUY ME A COFFEE on Ko-Fi
Hello, this is Dom…
From Second Sight Films, the Australian classic – Picnic at Hanging Rock – will be released on 1st May, here’s what they had to say:
The internationally acclaimed Australian cinema classic Picnic at Hanging Rock established the now legendary, Peter Weir (The Truman Show, Dead Poets Society) as a major filmmaker and with BAFTA-winning photography and a memorably haunting score, it remains one of the most chillingly atmospheric and beautifully enigmatic films ever made. Now this seminal piece of cinema is set to receive a stunning new Limited Edition 4K UHD/Blu-ray release alongside Standard Editions on 4K UHD and Blu-ray courtesy of Second Sight Films on 1 May 2023.
The film is presented in an impressive new Second Sight Films 4K scan and restoration from the original camera negative, which was supervised and approved by Peter Weir and director of photography Russell Boyd. It comes in a rigid slipcase with new artwork by Thinh Dinh asa four-disc set featuring two UHDs and two Blu-rays, including restorations of the Director’s Cut and original Theatrical Cut.
There’s a basket-load of special features, including brand new interviews, audio commentaries and the feature-length documentary A Dream Within a Dream and much more; please see full details below.
On Saturday, 14 February 1900, a party of schoolgirls from Appleyard College took a trip to Hanging Rock near Mt. Macedon in Victoria. During that idyllic sun-drenched afternoon some of the girls left the rest of the group to go exploring. The higher they climbed the more exhausted they became, finally they stopped to rest and fell asleep…
When they awoke, as though still in a dream the girls silently ventured further through a passage in the imposing rock face. Some of them were never seen again.
Based on the novel by Joan Lindsay and starring mesmerising performances from Anne-Louise Lambert, Rachel Roberts, Vivean Gray, Picnic at Hanging Rock is a treasured masterwork that now gets the release it deserves in a must own collector’s edition.
- A new Second Sight Films 4K scan and restoration from the original camera negative supervised and approved by director Peter Weir and director of photography Russell Boyd
- Dual format 4 disc set featuring 2 UHDs and 2 Blu-rays
- UHDs presented in HDR
- Includes restorations of the Director’s Cut and original Theatrical Cut
- Audio commentary by film academics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
- A Lovely Day for a Picnic: a new interview with actor Karen Robson
- Finding the Light: a new interview with director of photography Russell Boyd
- Crashing Through Boundaries: a new interview with camera operator John Seale
- Something Beyond Explanation: Thomas Caldwell on Picnic at Hanging Rock
- A Dream Within a Dream feature length documentary
- An interview with Joan Lindsay
- Recollection: Hanging Rock 1900
- Original long trailer
Limited Edition Contents
- Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Thinh Dinh
- Soft cover book with new essays by Daniel Bird, Kat Ellinger and Justine Smith, archive essay by Rebecca Harkins-Cross, Costume Gallery, feature on the original marketing of the film and the new restoration
- The original novel with exclusive cover by Thinh Dinh
- Six collectors’ art cards
Many thanks to Aim Publicity and Second Sight Films for providing the above images. The Limited Edition 4K and Blu-ray of Picnic at Hanging Rock can be pre-ordered here.
This article’s featured image: By Source, Second Sight Films, Fair Use
Leave a Reply